Jay O. Glerum Rigging Masterclass in Burbank '22:: ENTRY LEVEL
Where: Burbank High School
902 N 3rd St.
Burbank Cali 91502
Dates: Thursday June 23 & Friday June 24 2022
Prices: $350 USITT & AME members, $400 after June 6 2022
$400 non-members, $450 after June 6 2022
The Entry track is geared towards those needing to reaffirm their knowledge of or build upon their understanding of the basics in rigging and includes both counterweight and automated rigging safety and operations.
This class helps to prepare classroom theatre teachers and non-professional technicians for industry-level, safety practices using theatre counterweight systems for rigging scenery and lighting to increase safe working environments in schools and community theatres.
The two-day curriculum covers rigging basics, terminology, hardware, systems, tools and safe practices. Attendees are issued the Jay O. Glerum Stage Rigging Handbook and use this text as a reference.
Curriculum to be covered
• Safe Operation of Counterweight Fly Systems
• Basic Rigging Tools and Hardware
• How to Safely Rig and Fly Scenery
• Safety Procedures for Working at
• Heights and Using Ladders
• Basic Rules for Fall Protection
• Basic Maintenance of Rigging Systems
• Day to Day and Why Professional
• Inspections are Important
• Three hands-on segments to include:
• Hardware – proper use and application
• Fly System – system identification, safe operation, and maintenance overview
• Working at Heights – ladders & Genie lifts and maintenance overview
• Ed Leahy – Head Trainer and Cruise Ship Division Manager, Chicago Flyhouse, Inc. ETCP Certified Rigger – Arena & Theatre, ETCP Recognized Trainer
• Jerry Dougherty - University of Central Washington - Production Manager. ETCP Certified - Theatre
• Phil Van Hest - Safety and Rigging Manager, Bigger Hammer Production Services. ETCP Certified Rigger – Arena & Theatre, ETCP Recognized Trainer